Progress Test - AGE / SUPERNATURAL
Progress Test - Units 5 & 6
You are going to hear a short description of a memorable event from the life of Jeff Bridges, an actor. Listen carefully and then finish the statements by choosing the right option (5 marks):
- Ćwiczenie 1 aqm
Read the passage below and decide whether the following statements are true (T) or false (F) according to the information in the text (10 marks):
Of Serotonin and Spirituality
Serotonin, the brain chemical crucial to mood and motivation, also shapes personality to make you susceptible to spiritual experiences. A team of Swedish researchers has found that the presence of a receptor that regulates general serotonin activity in the brain correlates with people’s capacity for transcendence, the ability to apprehend phenomena that cannot be explained objectively. Scientists have long suspected that serotonin influences spirituality, because drugs known to alter serotonin such as LSD also induce mystical experiences, but now they have proof from brain scans linking the capacity for spirituality with a major biological element.
The concentration of serotonin receptors normally varies markedly among individuals. Those whose brain scans showed the most receptor activity proved on personality tests to have the strongest predisposition to spiritual acceptance.
Reporting in the American Journal of Psychiatry, the researchers see the evidence as contradicting the common belief that religious behaviour is determined strictly by environmental and cultural factors. They see a biological underpinning for religiosity, and it is related to the neurotransmitter serotonin.
Based on: http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/pto-20040206-000004.html
Complete the dialogue using the clues given in brackets (10 marks):
- (starting a conversation).
- No, actually it’s my first visit to this city.
- (stating an opinion) (maintaining the conversation)
- Oh I love it here too. (maintaining the conversation)
- I’m an actress.
- (echo question). Could you get me a role in a film?
- (avoiding answering)
- Just joking. And I think films these days are getting more and more boring.
- Well, it depends on what you like, I suppose. (maintaining the conversation)
- No, thanks. I still have some wine left. Excuse me, there is somebody I want to talk to over there.
- (ending the conversation)
- (ending the conversation).