Lesson 3 - Vocabulary - DIFFICULTIES
Vocabulary connected with problems, difficulties and issues, expressions connected with succeeding, failing, having difficulties;similes.
EXPRESSIONS CONNECTED WITH SUCCEEDING, FAILING, HAVING DIFFICULTIES
Look at the following expressions and match them with the pictures below:
- The tide has turned for us, there are better days ahead.
- We can see light at the end of the tunnel at last.
- All the trouble last year was just swept under the carpet in the end.
- The two parties have buried the hatchet for the time being.
- I’m up to my neck in it.
- You should apologize to him. I think it would go a long way.
- We were on tenterhooks all night waiting for the news from the hospital.
- You’ve been in a lot of trouble lately; you’d better toe the line from now on.
Complete the sentences with the appropriate words:
1. We were on ....... all night waiting for the news from the hospital.
2. The tide has t...... for us, there are better days ahead.
3. You’ve been in a lot of trouble lately; you’d better .... the line from now on.
4. All the trouble last year was just .... under the carpet in the end.
5. We can see light at the end of the ....... at last.
6. The two parties have buried the ...... for the time being.
7. I’m up to my ..... in it.
- Ćwiczenie 8 [brak odpowiedzi w pliku zrodlowym]
Difficulties while learning via computer. Read the following statements and answer the questions below:
a) I’ve bookmarked the CNN home page, as I use it regularly to get the latest news.
b) She must have changed her e-mail address – the e-mail I sent her bounced. (came back to me)
c) If you subscribe to newsgroups, you often get a lot of messages. (become a member)
d) The file you sent me yesterday as an attachment was unreadable. The text was completely garbled. (just a series of meaningless letters and numbers)
- Ćwiczenie 9 aqm
- Ćwiczenie 10 aqm
- He is as fit …. a fiddle
- He is as brown …. a berry
- He eats ….. a horse
- He is as deaf …. a post
- He sleeps ……a log.
- It is as clear …. mud
- It spreads ……. wildfire
- He is as quiet …. a mouse
- He spends money …… water
- He shakes …. a leaf.
- He is as quick …. lightning
- He goes ……. a bomb
- He looks ……. a drowned rat
- He sings ……. a lark
- It is as cold ….. ice
- He smokes …… a chimney
- He runs …… a hare
- He drinks ….. a fish
- He treats his employees . ….. dirt.
- He is as pleased …. Punch
Match the meanings below with the expressions above (there may be more than one answer for the meanings below):
- He smokes a lot
- He’s come back home. It’s raining outside.
- It’s terribly cold.
- He mistreats somebody.
- He’s healthy wealthy and sound.
- He is very scared.
- He is content.
- The news spreads incredibly quickly.
- He runs quickly.
- He is not careful with money.
- Ćwiczenie 12 aqm