Lesson 3 - Vocabulary - DIFFICULTIES
Vocabulary connected with problems, difficulties and issues, expressions connected with succeeding, failing, having difficulties;similes.
EXPRESSIONS CONNECTED WITH SUCCEEDING, FAILING, HAVING DIFFICULTIES
Look at the following expressions and match them with the pictures below:
- The tide has turned for us, there are better days ahead.
- We can see light at the end of the tunnel at last.
- All the trouble last year was just swept under the carpet in the end.
- The two parties have buried the hatchet for the time being.
- I’m up to my neck in it.
- You should apologize to him. I think it would go a long way.
- We were on tenterhooks all night waiting for the news from the hospital.
- You’ve been in a lot of trouble lately; you’d better toe the line from now on.
- Ćwiczenie 8 [brak odpowiedzi w pliku zrodlowym]
Difficulties while learning via computer. Read the following statements and answer the questions below:
a) I’ve bookmarked the CNN home page, as I use it regularly to get the latest news.
b) She must have changed her e-mail address – the e-mail I sent her bounced. (came back to me)
c) If you subscribe to newsgroups, you often get a lot of messages. (become a member)
d) The file you sent me yesterday as an attachment was unreadable. The text was completely garbled. (just a series of meaningless letters and numbers)
- Ćwiczenie 9 aqm
- Ćwiczenie 10 aqm
- He is as fit …. a fiddle
- He is as brown …. a berry
- He eats ….. a horse
- He is as deaf …. a post
- He sleeps ……a log.
- It is as clear …. mud
- It spreads ……. wildfire
- He is as quiet …. a mouse
- He spends money …… water
- He shakes …. a leaf.
- He is as quick …. lightning
- He goes ……. a bomb
- He looks ……. a drowned rat
- He sings ……. a lark
- It is as cold ….. ice
- He smokes …… a chimney
- He runs …… a hare
- He drinks ….. a fish
- He treats his employees . ….. dirt.
- He is as pleased …. Punch
Match the meanings below with the expressions above (there may be more than one answer for the meanings below):
- He smokes a lot
- He’s come back home. It’s raining outside.
- It’s terribly cold.
- He mistreats somebody.
- He’s healthy wealthy and sound.
- He is very scared.
- He is content.
- The news spreads incredibly quickly.
- He runs quickly.
- He is not careful with money.
- Ćwiczenie 12 aqm