Lesson 2 - L&S, Functions, Pronunciation - FOUR SEASONS
MEETING AFTER THE WINTER HOLIDAYS
- Ćwiczenie 1 aqm
Here are some useful tips on how to make a polite intrusion to introduce yourself:
• "Hello, I'm John Smith."
...a classic move - simple, but devastatingly effective.
• "I'm Richard Jones. May I have the pleasure of your company?"
...taking care not to sound too stiffly formal.
• "I'm delighted to make your acquaintance. Might I have the honor of introducing myself?"
...bowing, heel clicking, hand kissing optional.
• "Do forgive me. I'm not very good at this sort of thing. Please allow me to present myself."
• "They call me Bill Green, but my name is really William Green."
• "We are not like the others".
(There's something different about you, and I understand.)
. . . and sally forth from there.
From: (How 2 Meet Women. The Shy Man’s Guide to Relationships by Cartaphilus, 1999. http:personal.riverusers.com//-thegrende/topics ; and related.)
- Ćwiczenie 2 aqm
FUNCTIONAL LANGUAGE EXPRESSING SURPRISE AND DISBELIEF
PRONUNCIATION OF WORDS COMMONLY MISPRONOUNCED
- Ćwiczenie 6 aqm
Now listen to the pronunciation of the following pairs of words. Try to repeat after the recording:
• Word - world
• Important - impotent
• Tour - tower
• Pepper - paper
• Marry - merry
• Life - live
• Buy - boy
• Roar - rare
• Hear - hair
• Worm - warm
• Work - walk
• Slip - sleep
• Hit - heat
• Heal - hill
• Bad - bed
• Weary - worry
• Crush - crash
• still - steal
• bird - beard
• beer - bear