Lesson 2 - L&S, Functions, Pronunciation - AGE
- Ćwiczenie 1 aqm
You are going to listen to an extract from an interview with a famous actress talking about her parents, family life, childhood ambitions and her own children. Which of these phrases do you think you will hear during the interview?
- when-I-grow-up fantasies
- generation gap
- ebbs and flows in life
- traditional background
- teenage rebellion
- I’m a Buddhist
- acquired taste
- crowds of fans
- to take insults
- stunning beauty
Now listen to an extract from an interview conducted by a reporter, Laura Yorke with Uma Thurman, an American film star, and, at the moment, a single mother. Then, decide which of the phrases above you actually heard: Uma Thurman
[czekam na ziwekszenie limitu na osilku - mam plik audio M5_u5_l2_Uma_Thurman]
Complete the sentences from the interview, trying to use the original phrases:
- As a girl, she wanted to be an actress. Her mother, who knew 1.(4 words)………. about show business, told her to pick something 2. (2 words)………. .
- Thurman: There are so many 3. (3 words) ……… in life, but when you're 4. (3 words)……, your family means everything.
- Yorke: How did your mom 5.(1 word) ………… you? Thurman: She's a very 6. (2 words) ……… person.
- Yorke: Yet you've said many times that you were 7. (4 words)………….. when you were younger.
- Thurman: My mother always 8.(4 words) ……… to me that, whatever you look like now, you're going to look worse later. Don't get too 9. (2 words) …….. your beauty because it's not yours 10. (2 words) …….. .
Now listen again to the recording and check your answers.
NEGATING AND FINDING SOLUTIONS
Listen to the dialogues. Which of these expressions have you heard?
Useful Functional Language Phrases
- I think we have to consider / But you have to admit … / Yes, but don’t forget… / But you do realise …
- I think it would be a complete waste of time / Personally, I think that … / I don’t believe in…
- All right… providing that… / Would you accept … / Yes, provided that … / Would you accept less than that?
- Yes, definitely. / There seems to be some truth in that. / Well, I agree with you to a point / I can agree with that. / That’s absolutely right.
- I don’t see how it’s possible to say that. / What a terrible idea. / But that really isn’t quite right. / I’m afraid that’s completely out of the question.
- But you have to admit / Yes, but don’t forget / But you do realise
- I think it would be a complete waste of time / Personally, I think that …
- All right… providing that…
- Yes, definitely. / Well, I agree with you to a point / I can agree with that.
- What a terrible idea.
The phrases above have been divided into the five groups or categories below, according to their functions.
- stating your opinion/point of view
- contradicting /negating
- negotiating/looking for solutions
- Ćwiczenie 5 aqm
Look at this transcript of a telephone conversation. Mr. Jackson and Mr. Pitt are not very good at expressing their negative opinions and finding solutions:
Mr. Jackson: - It’s me.
Mr. Pitt: - What do you want?
Mr. Jackson: - Can I use your car park? You’ve got a lot of empty space.
Mr. Pitt: - No.
Mr. Jackson: - But I can’t leave my car in the street.
Mr. Pitt: - I don’t care.
Mr. Jackson: - Think about it.
Mr. Pitt: Okay, you can leave your car there if you pay me.
Mr. Jackson: - How much.
Mr. Pitt: - $ 50 a day.
Mr. Jackson: - Are you crazy?
Mr. Pitt: - Parking space in our district is very expensive.
Mr. Jackson: - Rubbish.
Mr. Pitt: - Beg me then.
Mr. Jackson: - I can give you five.
Mr. Pitt: - Not enough.
Mr. Pitt: - Seven?
Mr. Pit: - It’s a deal.
Can you help them and improve their dialogue? You can use the expressions from the previous tasks:
Mr. Jackson: Mr. Pitt? This is Frank Jackson, your neighbour.
Mr. Pitt: - Oh, hello. What can I do for you?
Mr. Jackson: - You see,……
Mr. Pitt: - Would you accept seven dollars?
Mr. Jackson: - That sounds reasonable. I’m glad we’ve made a deal.
When the form of the word changes, the stressed syllable can also change:
Eg. - apply - application
- photograph - photographer - photography
[brak odpowiedzi do niektorych pytan - prosba do testerow o poprawne odpowiedzi]
Mark the stress on each of the wordsbelow, then listen and check whether you are correct or not:
Sometimes, the main stress in a word determines whether it is a verb, noun or adjective. Compare these sentences:
- They want to export their goods to France. "export" is a verb - stress on the last syllable
- Tourism is an invisible export. "export" here is a noun - stress on the first syllable
- Ćwiczenie 7 aqm